Putting dinner on the table during weeknights is always a struggle for me. Usually I cook on weekends and keep the food in fridge as the week progresses. But sometimes, it is too much work and I skip this step altogether.
The alternative? We live off of the freezer.
I came across this easy chicken fajita recipe and I think it would work great for your weeknights.
Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
Quick to prep the ingredients and take less time to make the dish. So, take a peek below and find out how you can make a batch of your own and save yourself from work week dinner disasters!
Here are the marinade ingredients for your Easy Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Â¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 3-4 limes)
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Â½ teaspoons chili powder
- Â½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Â½ teaspoon liquid smoke â€“ this is the secret ingredient ( itâ€™s worth it to have a bottle of hand just for this!)
- Â¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
Easy Chicken Fajita Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 yellow onion, cut into thin strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red (or orange) pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (or liquid aminos)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Â½ teaspoon lime juice (a quick squeeze of a cut lime)
- dash of salt and pepper
I put the chicken even when itâ€™s frozen into the marinade and let it thaw as it sits. The longer itâ€™s in the marinade the better (2-3 hours is good).
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade ingredients over the top. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for 2-3 hours.
2. After marinading, take chicken out of the bag and discard the marinade. Grill or broil the chicken 5-7 minutes per side .
Remove from grill or pan and tent with foil to keep warm.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat and add the onion and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender.
Add soy sauce, water, lime juice and salt and pepper. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the vegetables in the skillet.
Serve immediately with flour tortillas and top with tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, cheese, sour cream.
That’s it! Your easy Chicken Fajita Recipe is ready to be Enjoyed!! Don’t forget to save a portion and keep it in the fridge to be eaten during the work week.