Throw pillows and accent pillows are a great way to spruce up your home for the holiday season, but they can come with a pretty steep price tag. This year, why not try making your own instead? Don’t worry, you don’t need to own a sewing machine to do so, and you don’t even need to know how to sew a single stitch. In fact, all this project takes is a few supplies from your local Dollar Tree store and you are all ready to roll. Take a look below at how to make your very own.
1 cloth placemat
1 package of snowflake ornaments
Cotton filler, scrap fabric, or toilet paper
Hot glue, glue gun
We found the placemat we used in the sample picture in the holiday décor aisle of our dollar store. You can use any cloth placemat that has the colors and designs to match your décor. Don’t worry if you don’t have any cotton filler, just use toilet paper or scrap fabric if you have it. It works just as well in small pillows such as this.
1. Begin by folding your placemat in half so the seam is at the top of the pillow.
2. Next, lift the fabric up and apply some hot glue to the left side and the bottom hem of the placemat. Lower the fabric back down and press firmly so the two sides of fabric adhere together well.
3. You will notice that the right side of your pillow is still open. This is where you will stuff the batting of your choice. Wait for a good 20 minutes so that the glue is dry on your seams (you don’t want to tear them) and begin filling the pillow with stuffing.
4. Once your pillow has reached your desired fullness, place a strip of glue along the seam and press the two pieces of fabric together. Hold them together until adhered well.
5. Now gently fluff your pillow. Squeeze it and move the batting into place so it is nice and even.
6. Add a drop of glue to the backs of your snowflakes. Press the snowflakes onto the corner or corners of the pillow for added embellishment.
The only thing left to do now is decide where you want to display your pillow. A bed, a sofa, or an entryway bench are all great places. Anywhere you want a pop of holiday color is the perfect place to let your pillow rest. So, give this simple no sew project a try and see how easy it is! 🙂