Butternut squash recipes are perfect for the weather we are in right now.
In fact, did you know Butternut Squash is also known as ‘Winter Squash’? Why yes! It refers to the time when these vegetables are stored and not when they are harvested which is in Fall. They are known to keep well through the winter months, hence the name.
Super Easy Baked Butternut Squash Recipe
Popular ways to cook butternutÂ squash?
Baking, simmering, braising or steaming.
Today, I am sharing a baked butternut squash recipe that is sweet enough to be a dessert! I guarantee your little picky eaters would love it as it will taste like candy. So yeah, not so super healthy but an easy way to get your kids eat theirÂ veggies. Trade off is not so bad, I would say ðŸ™‚
1 butternut squash
1. The first thing you need to do is turn your oven on to 350Âº and find yourself a pan big enough to fit the squash in after you cut it in half. I actually ended up using 2 large cake pans. Just make sure that you are able to put about an inch of water in the pan while it is cooking.
2. You will also need to find yourself a large size knife to cut the butternut squash in half. I used our santoku knife and it worked very well. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and be very careful these babies have some tough skin!
3. Once you have it cut in half you will need to scoop out the seeds. Now it’s time to do a little magic. Take your brown sugar and sprinkle it all over the inside of the butternut squash. I say sprinkle but to be a little more accurate we poured it on! LOL Use as much as you like and of course, if it’s not enough you can adjust it to your taste the next time you cook.
4. Pour about an inch of water into your cooking vessel and take your squash and turn it upside down in the pan of water. I told you it was a super easy recipe!! Stick it in the oven and let it cook in the water for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Now turning the squash over after it is done cooking is a little tricky. My husband and I worked together using tongs and a large spatula. Â Be very careful as it is very hot!
5. Once you get it turned over it is time to spoon all the delicious goodness out of the squash and into a serving dish. Sprinkle brown sugar over the squash and serve. Add butter for even yummier goodness!
This is anÂ awesome recipe and it is a great way to get our kids to eat their veggies. They love candies, don’t they? So there is NO reason they wouldn’t love this baked butternut squash!
Make a serving of your own and watch how your family is going to love it!
P.S: Have a butternut squash recipe you swear by? Share it away ðŸ™‚