Thanksgiving is not only a time to fill up on some of the best foods the season has to offer, but also a time for loved ones to gather and share some time together. If you are playing host to this once a year get together, expenses can add up quickly and you might be searching for ways to save a little.
Here are 9 Cheap Thanksgiving dinner ideas to help you save your sanity and money.
9 Cheap Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas
1. Have everyone bring a side dish. Make sure that you won’t have duplicates by either assigning dishes or asking what people will be bringing. This will take a huge weight off your wallet and simplify your time.
2. Try to see if you can score a free turkey. Many grocery stores offer free turkeys this time of year when you spend a certain amount at their store in one trip during the promotion. Save your regular shopping trip for this time and get a free bird.
3. Rather than go for expensive individual drinks, make a bowl of punch with some lemon lime soda, ice cubes and your favorite juice. Cranberry seems fitting for this occasion!
4. Use what nature has out there for decorations. Gather leaves and pinecones and place them nicely on the table. Buy or find cheap gourds to add to the mix.
5. Don’t use disposable plates or napkins. Go for the kind you have to wash to save yourself at least $10.
6. If you are going to be buying everything for the get-together, make sure to check out what stores are offering. Competition for your business is very high during this time of year and you can score the best deals by price-matching and going to a couple stores to get all the things you need. Combine with the plethora of coupons out there and you could really rake in the savings.
7. Buy seasonings in bulk. Don’t get the pre-packaged seasonings on the shelves as they are so much more expensive that buying seasonings in bulk. In fact, you can really save a lot by making your own seasoning blends such as allspice, rather than buying it.
8. Plan for leftovers. This will save money on your weekly grocery budget, allowing more money for the holiday meal itself.
9. When it comes to choosing a bird, fresh is almost always more expensive than frozen and the quality is the same. What isn’t the same, however, is convenience. Just make sure you buy well before your meal and thaw in the fridge for a couple days (depending on the size). Also, go with one kind of meat. Don’t feel obligated to make a turkey and a ham.Host a thrifty Thanksgiving dinner this year with these 9 Cheap Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas #Thanksgiving Click To Tweet
Do you have any smart tips to add to our Cheap Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas? Feel free to share!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone!